If you’ve been investigating the keto diet or limiting your carbs for a time, you’ve probably come across beta-hydroxybutyrate or keto BHB pills. These powders, tablets, and beverages claim to make keto simpler and improve outcomes if you are currently in ketosis.
But did you know that your body makes keto BHB on its own? Exogenous ketones, on the other hand, maybe an excellent strategy to get into ketosis quicker. You may also include a keto BHB vitamin in your regular keto eating plan.
After all, keto BHB provides ketones’ brain-boosting, fat-burning effects and may be used daily. Let’s take a closer look at ketones and keto BHB pills, especially why keto BHB is an excellent source of exogenous ketones.
RELATED TOPIC: What Is Magnesium Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB) For?
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- What Is Keto BHB, And How Does It Relate to Ketones?
- Is It A Good Idea to Raise Your Bhb Ketones?
- Additional Reasons You May Want to Raise Your BHB Ketones Levels
- What Are Exogenous Ketones?
- Do Keto Pills Work Without The Keto Diet?
- Is Keto BHB Good For Weight Loss?
- What Does Keto BHB Do For You? [Benefits]
- BHB Side Effects
- How Long Does Keto BHB Take To Work?
What Is Keto BHB, And How Does It Relate to Ketones?
Your body can utilize two types of fuel: glucose and ketones. When you combine sugar and carbohydrates, you obtain glucose. When you have more glucose than you can use, your body stores the extra in the form of glycogen in your liver and muscles. But when these tanks are full, the body stores fat instead of glucose.
When glucose and glycogen are unavailable, ketones enter the picture, so you should use fat as your primary energy source. When you don’t have enough glucose in your system, your body makes three forms of ketone bodies: acetoacetate (AcAc), acetone, and beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB). BHB is the most numerous of the three forms of ketone bodies in your blood.
Overall, BHB is the primary ketone body that produces energy. AcAc and acetone are produced in substantially lower quantities.
Measuring BHB ketone levels is one way to assess whether your ketogenic diet works for you. It is also possible to detect hypoglycemia and insulinomas using BHB level monitoring (pancreatic tumors).
When your body produces and utilizes BHB properly, you experience all of the incredible advantages of nutritional ketosis.
Is It A Good Idea to Raise Your Bhb Ketones?
While glucose may be an efficient fuel source, it does have certain disadvantages. Using BHB ketones for energy may be a more pleasant overall experience in certain circumstances. After all, when you burn glucose, you feel energized and alert immediately after eating. However, it doesn’t take long for the dreaded “blood sugar fall” to set in before your stomach begins groaning for more carbs. Be sure – it’s not the most satisfactory feeling!
When you burn more ketones, your energy is much more consistent. You don’t experience the hunger, cravings, and distraction that you do when you just burn glucose.
When your BHB ketone levels grow, hunger fades into the background rather than the front. Because you can go hours without thinking about food, you can focus on your profession, children, and other essential things.
The appetite-controlling action of BHB ketones may also aid in weight loss. Finally, calorie restriction may occur spontaneously rather than as a result of a purposeful attempt to just eat less.
Additional Reasons You May Want to Raise Your BHB Ketones Levels
You may notice improved cognition and mental clarity as your body progresses into ketosis. So, if you have a lot of creative work to accomplish, being in ketosis puts your brain in a better position.
Furthermore, there is the possibility of having too many ketones in your blood, known as ketoacidosis. The most frequent kind is diabetic ketoacidosis, which occurs when the body cannot generate enough insulin.
However, having ketones in your system at therapeutic levels is beneficial as long as the levels remain below those that induce ketoacidosis. (Remember that ketoacidosis is often experienced by persons with uncontrolled diabetes. So engage with your health care practitioner if your ketone levels need further assistance and medical observation.)
While your body produces BHB independently, another method influences your blood ketone levels.
What Are Exogenous Ketones?
Making fat the primary fuel for keto dieters is to develop endogenous ketones (inside the body). However, you may supplement your fat-fueled lifestyle with exogenous ketones (ketones produced outside the body).
As a result, ketones discovered in supplements fall under this group.
While your body manufactures keto BHB, you may take supplements to enter ketosis quicker or as part of a ketogenic diet.
On the market, there are three forms of ketone supplements. They do, however, have significant drawbacks:
- Ketone esters comprise a keto BHB molecule bonded to an alcohol molecule (1,3 butanediol, not ethanol). Ketone esters certainly increase ketones, but they’re still relatively new on the market. Scientists are still discovering what they do—both good and harmful. In addition, they are costly and lack taste.
- Ketone salts are mineral-bound ketone esters that taste somewhat better than ketone esters. Ketone salts are similarly new to the supplement market, and the entire spectrum of adverse effects is unknown. Nonetheless, some individuals notice intestinal issues, which isn’t a pleasant side effect of ketone supplementation.
- Raspberry ketones do not affect ketone levels. If you see a little increase in ketones, the manufacturer incorporated a small amount of fat in the mix.
Aside from the adverse effects, taking exogenous ketones may be beneficial if you show keto flu symptoms. When your body switches from burning glucose to burning fat, you may experience nausea. Still, exogenous ketones may help minimize the time it takes for your body to enter nutritional ketosis.
According to 2016 research, exogenous ketone supplementation may induce nutritional ketosis without a low-carb diet. In addition to increasing keto BHB levels, ketone supplementation results in a decrease in glucose.
Do Keto Pills Work Without The Keto Diet?
Because it is high-fat and low-carb, the keto diet causes the body to burn fat rather than carbohydrates. It is an efficient method for losing weight, improving health, and increasing vitality. It’s popular because it allows you to burn fat without watching calories or feeling hungry. However, some believe that including this diet pill in their diet will make it more successful.
A keto diet minimizes your body’s requirement for insulin and aids with blood sugar management. It may also help you in living a longer life. If you don’t want to give up bread and pasta, keto diet tablets might help you stick to a keto diet. These keto BHB pills may assist you in producing energy from fat and burning accumulated fat.
This supplement mentioned already as keto BHB pills is a ketone body that aids in boosting the ketogenic diet. That is why many people believe it is advantageous in the weight-loss process.
Is Keto BHB Good For Weight Loss?
Ketone supplements have been demonstrated to reduce hunger, which may aid in weight loss by causing you to eat less.
In one research of 15 normal-weight persons, those who drank a beverage containing ketone esters felt 50% less hungry following an overnight fast than those who drank a sugary beverage.
Between two and four hours after drinking the ketone ester drink, lower levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin were linked to the appetite-suppressing effect.
On the other hand, keto BHB pills may not alter hunger as much in persons who have already eaten.
Those who did not consume a meal before taking a ketone supplement had greater blood ketone levels than those who did.
Ketone supplements may be more effective during a fast, such as when you get up in the morning, than after a carb-containing meal.
Taking a ketone supplement after a carb-containing meal boosts blood ketone levels but not as much as fasting. Your body uses fewer ketones as fuel because there is more glucose from the carbs.
What Does Keto BHB Do For You? [Benefits]
There are various advantages to using BHB supplements. Reduced inflammation, better heart health, a clearer mind, and more energy are just some benefits of beta-hydroxybutyrate supplementation.
The immune system’s reaction to a recognized or imagined danger is inflammation. When something is wrong, like when you get hurt, your body rushes to the site of the damage and starts the healing process. Although this is required, it causes discomfort, redness, heat, and swelling. Those linked symptoms fade as you recover and you are no longer injured.
Chronic inflammation occurs when the immune system’s reaction never stops. Tissues are continually destroyed and healed at the site of chronic inflammation. It’s a vicious circle. This is a significant issue since chronic inflammation causes illnesses such as stroke, cancer, diabetes, and others. According to estimates, up to one in every five individuals globally will die from a chronic inflammatory condition.
Aside from the increased risk of illness, chronic inflammation may manifest itself in various unfavorable ways. Fatigue, joint discomfort, chest or belly pain, rash, mouth sores, and fever are just a few symptoms of a continuing immunological response. It is simple to understand why controlling inflammation in the body is critical. But how exactly?
It should be no surprise to health-conscious people that nutrition significantly influences the inflammation. An anti-inflammatory diet avoids processed foods, refined carbs, and added sugar in favor of whole fruits and vegetables, fatty fish, and nuts.
According to research, keto BHB suppresses the NLRP3 inflammasome. To put it another way, keto BHB has anti-inflammatory qualities. Taking keto BHB pills may therefore help the body fight inflammation. This not only helps the body fight sickness, but it also delays aging!
Promotes Heart Health
According to the American Heart Association, cardiovascular disease accounts for roughly one-third of all fatalities in the United States. The USA is in a heart health emergency, with over 92 million American adults suffering from cardiovascular disease or the aftereffects of a stroke.
Nutrition and lifestyle play an important role in keeping a healthy cardiovascular system. However, a genetic predisposition for some individuals implies that food and exercise are insufficient. Fortunately, there are supplements, such as keto BHB pills, that you may take into your daily routine to boost your heart health.
Wouldn’t you try it if you could take a pill that delayed the hands of time on your heart? A BHB pill might help with that. Keto BHB enhances heart health by preventing heart cells from aging as fast as they would otherwise. BHB salts may also improve blood flow and mechanical muscle efficiency. These pills take “young at heart” to a whole new level!
Promotes Cognitive Health
Although glucose is our brain’s primary fuel, ketones are a backup when our bodies run out of glucose. BHB is maybe even more efficient for the brain than glucose since it produces more energy per unit of oxygen needed. It also seems to promote mitochondrial development and energy efficiency in the hippocampus, a brain region important for memory and learning.
An interesting study discovered that greater BHB ketone levels in Alzheimer’s patients’ bodies corresponded with enhanced cognitive performance. Participants who received an oral dosage of Medium-chain Triglycerides (MCT) performed better on memory tests than those who received a placebo. This shows that increased keto BHB levels in the body may result in better memory.
The advantages of BHB on our brains continue. Neuroprotection is a mechanism that leads to nervous system salvage, recovery, and regeneration. According to research, ketones may have a neuroprotective effect, which may repair and stimulate the formation of synapses and neurons in the brain. Ketones such as BHB may help to enhance and maintain your nervous system’s general health.
May Help To Prevent Cancer
Tumors thrive on glucose, and this is called Warburg’s effect. That reaction is a fascinating phenomenon that has encouraged cancer researchers to test several ketones for their cancer-fighting effects.
Cancer cells fail to flourish when they are denied access to glucose and forced to receive energy from ketones instead. Every battle against malignant cells has one purpose: failure to thrive.
Keto BHB may even inhibit the motility and proliferation of pancreatic cancer cells, one of the deadliest tumors. More study is needed to discover if ketones may enhance the lives of pancreatic cancer patients.
Reduced cancer cell proliferation and spread to other organs are promising for treating or preventing malignant tumors.
When you exercise, your body rapidly absorbs BHB, triggering the body’s fat-burning activities. Increasing the quantity of BHB in the body gives you more efficient fuel available to run harder, leap higher, and exercise longer. Naturally, this leads to higher fat burning and better workout outcomes.
It may be tough to complete an exercise in ketosis, especially at first. Those on a ketogenic diet who want to work out in the morning while still fasting may find the energy they need with keto BHB pills.
BHB Side Effects
The apparent absence of significant beta-hydroxybutyrate side effects is one of the most promising elements of keto BHB treatment. Of course, you should always contact a trained healthcare physician before starting any new supplement. Having said that, most adverse effects are minor.
All supplements have the potential to disturb the digestive system. BHB pills are no different. Large dosages, on the other hand, are often associated with digestive difficulties. To counteract this, take it with meals and begin with a lower dosage, gradually increasing as your tolerance is better known.
For people new to the ketogenic diet, sodium BHB may also aid the adjustment. Initially, entering a state of ketosis might cause unpleasant side symptoms known as Keto Flu. Dry mouth, foul breath, muscular cramps, and headaches are frequent side effects of ketosis, particularly for people new to the diet.
People with high blood pressure should not use a sodium-containing BHB supplement without contacting a doctor.
How Long Does Keto BHB Take To Work?
This product immediately raises your ketone levels. Within 15-30 minutes, you will notice a difference. Keto BHB salts often increase your energy and athletic performance. Some folks also report increased mental clarity and attention. This product works best with the keto diet to enhance and intensify natural ketosis.
The Bottom Line
Keto BHB can help our bodies in a variety of ways. Its anti-inflammatory characteristics reduce our chance of developing chronic diseases. Running on keto BHB pills improves the health and function of our cardiovascular and neurological systems. Ketones can suppress the development and spread of malignant cancer cells, particularly the lethal pancreatic. BHB is the most abundant ketone we can find naturally in our systems. Its supplementation helps one quickly enter a state of ketosis, delivering energy to a body that is joyfully rid of glucose.
- Newman, J. C., & Verdin, E. (2017). β-Hydroxybutyrate: A Signaling Metabolite. Annual review of nutrition, 37, 51–76. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-nutr-071816-064916
- Cuenoud, B., Hartweg, M., Godin, J. P., Croteau, E., Maltais, M., Castellano, C. A., Carpentier, A. C., & Cunnane, S. C. (2020). Metabolism of Exogenous D-Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, an Energy Substrate Avidly Consumed by the Heart and Kidney. Frontiers in nutrition, 7, 13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2020.00013
- Stefan, M., Sharp, M., Gheith, R., Lowery, R., & Wilson, J. (2021). The Effect of Exogenous Beta-Hydroxybutyrate Salt Supplementation on Metrics of Safety and Health in Adolescents. Nutrients, 13(3), 854. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13030854
- Stubbs, B. J., Cox, P. J., Evans, R. D., Santer, P., Miller, J. J., Faull, O. K., Magor-Elliott, S., Hiyama, S., Stirling, M., & Clarke, K. (2017). On the Metabolism of Exogenous Ketones in Humans. Frontiers in physiology, 8, 848. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2017.00848
- Buga, A., Kackley, M. L., Crabtree, C. D., Sapper, T. N., Mccabe, L., Fell, B., LaFountain, R. A., Hyde, P. N., Martini, E. R., Bowman, J., Pan, Y., Scandling, D., Brownlow, M. L., O’Connor, A., Simonetti, O. P., Kraemer, W. J., & Volek, J. S. (2021). The Effects of a 6-Week Controlled, Hypocaloric Ketogenic Diet, With and Without Exogenous Ketone Salts, on Body Composition Responses. Frontiers in nutrition, 8, 618520. https://doi.org/10.3389/fnut.2021.618520
- White, H., Heffernan, A. J., Worrall, S., Grunsfeld, A., & Thomas, M. (2021). A Systematic Review of Intravenous β-Hydroxybutyrate Use in Humans – A Promising Future Therapy?. Frontiers in medicine, 8, 740374. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmed.2021.740374
- Wang, L., Chen, P., & Xiao, W. (2021). β-hydroxybutyrate as an Anti-Aging Metabolite. Nutrients, 13(10), 3420. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13103420
- Masood W, Annamaraju P, Uppaluri KR. Ketogenic Diet. [Updated 2022 Jun 11]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499830/
- Newman, J. C., & Verdin, E. (2014). β-hydroxybutyrate: much more than a metabolite. Diabetes research and clinical practice, 106(2), 173–181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2014.08.009
- Youm, Y. H., Nguyen, K. Y., Grant, R. W., Goldberg, E. L., Bodogai, M., Kim, D., D’Agostino, D., Planavsky, N., Lupfer, C., Kanneganti, T. D., Kang, S., Horvath, T. L., Fahmy, T. M., Crawford, P. A., Biragyn, A., Alnemri, E., & Dixit, V. D. (2015). The ketone metabolite β-hydroxybutyrate blocks NLRP3 inflammasome-mediated inflammatory disease. Nature medicine, 21(3), 263–269. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm.3804
- Jensen, N. J., Wodschow, H. Z., Nilsson, M., & Rungby, J. (2020). Effects of Ketone Bodies on Brain Metabolism and Function in Neurodegenerative Diseases. International journal of molecular sciences, 21(22), 8767. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21228767
- Nasser, S., Vialichka, V., Biesiekierska, M., Balcerczyk, A., & Pirola, L. (2020). Effects of ketogenic diet and ketone bodies on the cardiovascular system: Concentration matters. World journal of diabetes, 11(12), 584–595. https://doi.org/10.4239/wjd.v11.i12.584
- Pan, J. W., Rothman, T. L., Behar, K. L., Stein, D. T., & Hetherington, H. P. (2000). Human brain beta-hydroxybutyrate and lactate increase in fasting-induced ketosis. Journal of cerebral blood flow and metabolism : official journal of the International Society of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, 20(10), 1502–1507. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004647-200010000-00012
- James, S., & Kjerulf Greer, B. (2019). Influence of Exogenous β-Hydroxybutyrate on Walking Economy and Rating of Perceived Exertion. Journal of dietary supplements, 16(4), 463–469. https://doi.org/10.1080/19390211.2018.1471562
- Dowis, K., & Banga, S. (2021). The Potential Health Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet: A Narrative Review. Nutrients, 13(5), 1654. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13051654
- Poff, A., Koutnik, A., Moss, S., Mandala, S., & D’Agostino, D. (2019). Exploring the Viability of Exogenous Ketones as Weight Loss Supplements (P21-017-19). Current Developments in Nutrition, 3(Suppl 1), nzz041.P21-017-19. https://doi.org/10.1093/cdn/nzz041.P21-017-19
- LaManna, J. C., Salem, N., Puchowicz, M., Erokwu, B., Koppaka, S., Flask, C., & Lee, Z. (2009). Ketones suppress brain glucose consumption. Advances in experimental medicine and biology, 645, 301–306. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-85998-9_45